post by Bathurstian | | Closed


The Bathurst Toposcope marks the spot where the 1820 British Settlers locations were surveyed. The details of the settlements, and the names of the ships and their ports of departure are recorded on 57 plaques – originally brass. However they were stolen, and later replaced with plaques made of fibreglass. The inscription on the plinth reads ” Close to this site in 1820 Colonel Jacob Cuyler made his camp while supervising the placing of the settlers on their locations. While camped here at the same time Sir Rufane Donkin chose the site for the administrative centre to be named Bathurst. The beacon was erected by Captain W. Bailey as an observing station during his survey of the Eastern Districts, 1855 – 1859.” The stones used in the construction of the wall were taken from ruins of original Settler homes. On a clear day, visitors to the area are provided with magnificent views of the Gamtoos Valley floodplain from The Great Fish River to Kwaaihoek.
Bathusrt : Toposcope

Comments are closed.

elektronik sigara